You will have 65 minutes to complete 52 questions in this portion exam from the moment you click the start button.
The timer will continue to count even if you leave the page, so do your best not to leave the page.
You may only take this exam once.
Please have scrap paper and writing utensils handy.
You must answer all questions to submit the exam. If you don’t know an answer, try your best to select the right one!
0 of 52 Questions completed
You have already completed the exam before. Hence you can not start it again.
Exam is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the exam.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 52 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Thank you for completing this part of the exam. To continue to the next part of the exam, Writing and Language, CLICK HERE
65 MINUTES, 52 QUESTIONS
Directions: Each passage or pair of passages below is followed by a number of questions. After reading
each passage or pair, choose the best answer to each question based on what is stated or
implied in the passage or passages and in any accompanying graphics (such as a table or
1. The main purpose of the first paragraph is to
2. As used in line 16, “kicks” most nearly means
3. The author uses the image of an engineer at sea (lines 23-28) most likely to
4. Which choice best supports the claim that Nawab performs his duties for Harouni well?
In the context of the conversation between Nawab and Harouni, Nawab’s comments in lines 43-52 (“Sir . . . beg you”) mainly serve to
6. Nawab uses the word “bridegroom” (line 62) mainly to emphasize that he’s no longer
7. It can reasonably be inferred from the passage that Harouni provides Nawab with a motorcycle mainly because
8. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
9. The passage states that the farm managers react to Nawab receiving a motorcycle with
10. According to the passage, what does Nawab consider to be the best result of getting the motorcycle?
11. The main purpose of the passage is to
12. According to the passage, which expectation do traditional authorities now face?
13. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
14. As used in line 24, “common” most nearly means
15. The authors most likely include the extended quotations in lines 43-53 to
16. The authors indicate that the public is coming to believe that journalists’ reports should avoid
17. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
18. As used in line 74, “raw” most nearly means
19. Based on the table, in which year were people the most trusting of the news media?
20. Which statement is best supported by information presented in the table?
21. The 2011 data in the table best serve as evidence of
22. The primary purpose of the passage is to
23. As presented in the passage, Theis and Adler’s research primarily relied on which type of evidence?
24. Which statement about striped cucumber beetles can most reasonably be inferred from the passage?
25. The author indicates that it seems initially plausible that Texas gourd plants could attract more pollinators if they
26. As used in line 38, “treated” most nearly means
27. What did Theis and Adler do as part of their study that most directly allowed Theis to reason that “bees were repelled not by the fragrance itself” (lines 70-71)?
28. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
29. The primary function of the seventh and eighth paragraphs (lines 65-84) is to
30. In describing squash bees as “indifferent” (line 68), the author most likely means that they
31. According to the passage, Theis and Adler’s research offers an answer to which of the following questions?
32. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
33. In Passage 1, Lincoln contends that breaking the law has which consequence?
34.Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
35. As used in line 24, “urge” most nearly means
36. The sentence in lines 24-28 (“When… made”) primarily serves which function in Passage 1?
37. As used in line 32, “observed” most nearly means
38. In Passage 2, Thoreau indicates that some unjust aspects of government are
39. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
40. The primary purpose of each passage is to
41. Based on the passages, Lincoln would most likely describe the behavior that Thoreau recommends in lines 64-66 (“if it… law”) as
42. Based on the passages, one commonality in the stances Lincoln and Thoreau take toward abolitionism is that
43. The passage is written from the point of view of a
44. As used in line 4, “poor” most nearly means
45. It can most reasonably be inferred from the passage that many people in the solar panel industry believe that
46. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
47. According to the passage, two-sided solar panels will likely raise efficiency by
48. Which choice provides the best evidence for the answer to the previous question?
49. As used in line 69, “betting on” most nearly means
50. The last sentence of the passage mainly serves to
51. According to figure 1, in 2017, the cost of which of the following fuels is projected to be closest to the 2009 US average electricity cost shown in figure 2?
52. According to figure 2, in what year is the average cost of solar photovoltaic power projected to be equal to the 2009 US average electricity cost?